24 November 2009

Halloween

I was busy in October making my son's dreams come true.


The Green Lantern and Star Sapphire

Considering that there are no Green Lantern costume patterns and no one has ever heard of Star Sapphire except my son, I had to wing a lot of it.  I have never sewn pleather.  And I don't do stretch fabrics.  Ever.
Until now.

Aren't they adorable?
The only things I didn't make are his gloves and his mask and the rings.
My son made rings for each of them, learned how to make a mold and sprue and the whole nine yards, and cast them, and put little LED lights in them. He also molded the mask out of some moldable stuff that hardens.

The rings all lighted up.  I thought that was really cool.  Give a nerd a child, and you get two nerds. 
Feel the love.

So, as a side story:  #1 son comes over to my place to use my workroom.  He has morphed an old Superman action figure into a character of his own creation and wants to make a cape.  An action figure cape.  This is after I made these costumes to his (often) very extreme demands.  He works down there (my workroom/studio is in the basement of our house) for awhile, then comes up and states:  "Fabric is the most difficult medium to work with!  It moves all over the place.  I don't know how you do it."
:-)

No comments: