29 April 2008

Pizza

I like pizza. My hero hubby likes pizza. We especially like Nick & Willie's pizza. So, the other night when I was with "the girls", my hero stopped by our fave take and bake to pick up a pizza. Imagine his surprise when he was told that would be the LAST pizza. N&W's would be closing. Apparently no one actually wants to get in their car, drive a few blocks, pick up an uncooked pizza, take it back home and bake it! Absurd. Especially since their pizzas are sooooo yummy. My little big sis says so, and she has exquisite taste. In everything. Really. I'm not making any of it up.

My desolate husband went into some kind of mental fugue state upon receiving his bad news. I wasn't there, so I can't actually say that he wept, although that would make for a great story. Instead, he went into action, which is what all hero hubbies do, don'tcha know. I am sure that he quizzed the hapless owner to make sure he had done everything in his power to keep the biz afloat. Next was to make sure the other N&W's in our fair city wasn't closing. It isn't. Big hairy deal, it's really too far away to consider. Unless we went on an N&W run and bought like 15 pizzas and froze them, which defeats the purpose of FRESH pizza. Which thought was running through my hero's head at lightning speed.

Then, he did what comes naturally to him: cushion the blow. He bought:
  1. 1 - 20lb container of [what he thought was] N&W Italian Sausage (which turned out to be hamburger);
  2. 1 - 20lb container of mozzarella cheese (quite possibly their propriety blend of cheeses, but it was already in the freezer downstairs when I got the news, so I have not a clue!);
  3. 1 - 5lb container of cooked bacon (do you see where we are going here?);
  4. a 2 year supply of the cool cardboard pizza baking sheets (these were actually free - the hapless owner took pity, I think);
  5. 2 take and bake cookies.
  6. The only reason he DIDN'T purchase the 2 year supply of pizza dough is because he DIDN'T want to purchase the nifty dough press they use to make it so thin.

When I got home Saturday, I went to try and find a place in the fridge for the stew pot that had mostly finished beef, chorizo and black bean chili in it so I could finish it off the next day. I opened up the produce drawer in order to stuff something in it (all other possible room in the fridge was taken up with the above list of items, minus the cheese) and found - a take and bake cookie!

That really got me to giggling. I love my hero hubby.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I hope there will still be pizza-making stuff at home when I get there! YUMMY!