21 May 2008

Quite Possibly the Best Food on Earth

I realize that a picture of a house doesn't do much for the digestive system, but bear with me, please.

This is in the city of Moji-ko. Right next to Kokura.
Albert Einstein stayed in this house. That is all I know about that.








What I do know about the white building on the corner (right) is that up above it has a little antique store that has great old scraps of kimono fabric - antiques. And I spent a lot of dough there. What fun!





There is a mall in Moji-ko (of course) that

has a soba restaurant in it. They make a really good dish called "kawara-soba" which literally is: rooftile noodles.

They heat the (clean, don't get your knickers in a twist) ceramic rooftile until it is oven hot. They top it with soba noodles, scrambled egg, fried pork strips, sliced green onions, and a decoration of seaweed and lemon and hot pepper sauce on top.
One puts the hot pepper sauce in one's bowl, then tops that with the lemon, then pours the sauce in the little hot pot over it and mixes it around.

If one is very good with chopsticks, it goes fast. Even if one is NOT very good with hashi, it goes quickly.

All I had to say about that was YUM. Was it good. The noodles next to the tile get crackly and the sauce is great, without being too spicy.



I included a shot of my empty bowl. I polished off my half of the dish, I'm sure.













1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I'm pretty sure it's beef on top, not pork. I agree, though. I LOVE KAWARASOBA!!!