20 June 2008

TREATS

I recently went to the Asian Market, where there are a LOT of items that I have no clue what they are. This is one of them. Sakura Denbu. I know what it is, I just don't know what I would do with it. But I bought it anyway, just because it says "seasoned codfish grinded" on it. And the idea of cherry blossoms and codfish together is rather intriguing, don't you think?

My Japanese food fetish continues. I found these YamYam made by Meiji at the local grocery. The crackers have cheese in them, so they are good for you, and there is a very sane amount of icing to dip (not scoop) them in. I love how languages have their own ways of describing animal sounds and animals in general.
Squirrels are not necessarily thought of as our best friend in the U.S. Especially stomping thug squirrels. And our lucky number is 7, not 8. But then, if I were an octopi, my whole world would revolve around the number 8, I suppose.
By and large, I just love these treats. I feel for the poor child of the transplants that counts on getting one of these when he/she goes to Hy-Vee and some gai-jin has been getting them all! Although, I wouldn't be the gai-koku-jin, would I?

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Those yamyam are HILARIOUS! I've never seen them here. And yes, 8 is an auspicious number in both Japanese and Chinese cultures. Loves to suntan!

maskedbadger said...

i can't wait to get some of those. i think i want to send single sticks randomly to the nephew. he will love them! bat- only in the night. certainly.

kishiko said...

I don't know YamYam, but we often use Sakura Denbu especially for Chirashizushi. It makes your dishes pretty like Sakura. I like Chirashizushi!

Ruthie said...

Oh! So it's called "sakura" because of the COLOR. Mom and I thought it was because the fish flakes were sakura-flavored... weird...